Thursday, May 8, 2014

King Cabbage with Cheese Halo (vintage cookbook recipe)



5 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups cooked rice
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup grated sharp cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook the cabbage in a small amount of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.  Place the rice in a greased (I used non-stick spray) 1 1/2 quart oven dish.  Top with the cabbage (I drained mine).  Sprinkle with black pepper.  Mix together the milk and mushroom soup.  Pour over the cabbage.  Cover with the cheese.  Bake 40 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.


Comment:  This recipe came from an old cookbook I think may be dating in the 60s or earlier.  It's form a booklet titled Riceland Rice Cookbook.  When I made this dish I didn't use my shredder for the cabbage I actually shredded it with my knife, thinly.  I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this dish but it turns out that I did.  The cabbage taste is actually toned down a bit, I feel sure, by the blend of the rice and possibly the cheese.  The combination of all ingredients complement each other to a point that this dish is actually delicious.  This I will make again and may even play around with it a bit by adding another ingredient.  I really think a little corned beef added would be good.

Comment from Food Tester Carol:  I never could have imagined what this would taste like, using ingredients I'd never tasted together before.  somehow it all comes together and presents a dish that is tangy, just a bit crunchy and altogether pleasing.  No only does it look appealing in a casserole dish, but it easily serves as a main course for a meatless meal or a side dish that will complement a main meat entree.  This is not adventurer's food because it is not "far out."  It is something that has the feel of a comfort food of one's youth, hearty yet not heavy.  You must try this versatile recipe!

No comments: