Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cheese Straws


1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups shredded cheese, room temperature
1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl combine butter, cheese and mustard.  Add flour and mix until the mixture is completely blended and forms a large ball.  Pinch off pieces and roll into a ball about the size of walnuts.  Roll these balls into strings.  Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Makes about 3 dozen.

Comments:  The original recipe for this called for 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese.  I have about 1/2 cup of Parmesian and about 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheeses that needed to be used.  I combined these with 1 cup of cheddar for my cheese.  The original also called for a tsp. of pepper.  This I eliminated but did add a Tbsp. of a herb blend that included Rosemary to half of my mix.  This gave me 2 flavors and also helped me use up some leftover cheese.  So for this dish Think With Your Taste Buds!

No comments: