Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dirty Rice Chorizo Patties


1 box Dirty Rice Mix (cooked according to package and cooled)
1 lb. Chorizo (remove casings)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix cooled rice, chorizo and cheese blending well.  Place a cookie cooking rack on a baking dish with sides.  Cover the rack with parchment paper.  Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat.  Press mixture into patties.  Brown on both sides being careful when turning.  Cook 3 - 4 patties at a time so you don't over crowd the pan.  Place browned patties on parchment paper covered rack.  Place patties in oven and cook 20-25 minutes.  Makes 8 - 10 patties depending upon size.

Comments - Chorizo is greasy so to remove some of the grease from the patty I used the cookie rack covered with parchment paper.  The rack allows the patties to drain as they finish cooking in the oven.  You can use just about any rice you like.  A good wild rice mix such as Zatarain's would be wonderful.  The cheddar cheese adds another flavor to this dish but you can use any flavor of cheese you might like.  The Mexican blend would be good.  This is a simple yet simply delicious dish to make. 

Now I'll tell you about the Chorizo that I used.  While attending a 'customer appreciation' event I had the honor of meeting Kathy Beam.  She and her husband Luke own Beam Family Farms.  They raise 100% grass-grown Gelbvieh beef using no hormone injections and no antibiotics.  Their cattle is raised the natural way as nature intended - in pastures.  I started buying their ground beef when I heard about the 'pink' stuff being added to the beef sold in the stores.  When I took my first bite of their beef Chorizo I was so impressed that I had to come up with a special recipe just for them.  And boy is it a winner.  My food testers that have had the preasure of eating one of the patties has had nothing but raving remarks.  Eventhough BEEF Beam Family Farms is located in North Carolina, you can still enjoy their product by ordering from their website and having it shipped.  Believe me, this beef is worth it.

No comments: