Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chickens with Mushrooms and White Wine


4 chicken legs
6 fresh sage leaves (1/4 tsp. dried)
1 cup white wine
salt and pepper
1 pkd (about 8 oz.) mushrooms
1 Tbsp. crushed garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil

In a large frying pan over medium high heat saute garlic in oil.  Salt and pepper chicken and place in hot pan over garlic.  Cook about 5 minutes on each side or until both are golden brown.  Add sage, wine and chopped mushrooms.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Cover, turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook for about 40-45 minutes.

Comments:  The original recipe for this dish came from Petitchef.com.  It called for a 'drop' of white wine and I was never able to find anyone who knew what a 'drop' was so I decided to use a cup.  It called for 8.82 oz of fresh mushrooms and to chop them finely.  I used Portabella and cut them into chunks.  It also used 2 cloves of garlic but I always use minced, due to it's ease of using, plus I wanted a bit more of the garlic taste.  Their dish was served as-is.  Well, apparently I didn't let the wine evaporate enough or used more than a 'drop' and mine had about 1/2 of liquid that had such a wonderful taste that I didn't want it wasted.  I served mine over Basmati Rice which turned out to be a hit with my food tasters.  There is one change I will make when making this dish again.  I'll use chicken breasts instead of legs/thighs.  I personally like the white meat best and this creates a moist juicy meat so the breast will work nicely.

No comments: