Monday, November 5, 2012

Strawberry Cake Cobbler


1 pkg dry yellow cake mix
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
3 cups sliced, frozen strawberries, drained
8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.  In a large bowl combine cake mix, butter and 1 egg.  Mix with a fork until crumbly.  Remove 1 1/2 cup to use later for topping.  Press remaining crumbs on the bottom of the pan.  Bake 10 minutes.  Spoon strawberries over baked batter. In another bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, 1 egg and vanilla.  Beat with a mixer until creamy.  Spread evenly over strawberries.  Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.  Bake 30 minutes.  Serves 8-10.  Refrigerate any leftovers.

Comments:  This recipe originally called for canned peaches.  I decided to use strawberries after my small freezer died giving me food that had to be cooked quickly or thrown out.  When I freeze my strawberries I sprinkle them with about 1/4 cup of sugar per pint which in turn makes juice.  Before making this dish I poured 2 bags into a strainer to remove most of the liquid.  This ended up giving me about 3 cups of berries.  You can make this with canned peaches or other fruit, I personally think frozen fruit of your choice would be better.  You could use blueberries, cherries, raspberries, peaches, etc.  Think With Your Taste Buds.

No comments: