Saturday, July 20, 2013

Refrigerator Pickles


4-5 thinly sliced cucumbers
1 large thinly sliced red onion
1 large thinly sliced bell pepper (color of your choice)
3 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. pickling spices
1 Tbsp. salt
2 canning jars (1 qt. each with lids)

In a large bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and spices.  Stir making sure sugar dissolves completely.  Evenly divide veggies into jars, packing tightly without breaking.  Fill jars with vinegar mixture.  Top with lid and refrigerate 24 hours.  Can be kept in refrigerator up to 2 months.

Comments:  This recipe originally called for less vinegar but I found I needed the extra cup to fill my jars.  It also called for 1 tsp. celery flakes and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes.  I decided to use the pickling spices instead.  These 'pickles' are so good.  The red onion gives off just a touch of flavor heat.  The pickling spices add the perfect flavors and the jars are really pretty.  I did notice that the onions have a tendency of ending up on the bottom but they can be fished out when serving.  Also, I'm going to try using cheese cloth for the pickling spices instead of allowing them to be loose.  That should give me the flavors without the actual spices being attached to my pickles.  When I worked up my bell pepper I sliced it in half to remove the seeds and core, then sliced that in half to give me smaller, thinner pieces.  This is one recipe that everyone who loves the Bread & Butter style pickles has raved about.  I've also discovered that I can add more veggies to the liquid as the jar empties.  Let them sit for 24 hrs. and your ready to go again.
 

No comments: