Friday, April 11, 2014

Sloppy Joes


1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper (green or red), chopped
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
6 rolls or buns


In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion and peppers until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.  Drain.  Stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and ketchup.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.  Serves 6


Comments:  When wanted a recipe for a healthy Sloppy Joes and ran across one in one of my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbooks.  I made a couple of changes.  I made my own tomato sauce by running a can of tomatoes in sauce through the blender.  I used garlic instead of garlic salt and added the ketchup.  For my buns I used Bagel Thins with Everything.  This added to the flavor but also kept the dish healthy.  Taste wise - this is delicious!  I never once noticed the elimination of salt.

No comments: