Friday, May 30, 2014

Baked Scallop Scampi


5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 lb. sea scallops
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 cup Panko bread crumbs



Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place 2 Tbsp. of butter in a 9 x 9 baking dish.  Place in oven until melted.  In a bowl season scallops with salt and place in buttered dish.  Squeeze lemon juice over scallops.  In a small frying pan melt the other 3 Tbsp. of butter.  Add garlic and cook over med. high heat 2-3 minutes stirring constantly to prevent burning.  Add Panko and zest.  Stir and cook another 1 - 2 minutes or until butter is absorbed and bread is slightly toasted.  Sprinkle Panko mixture over scallops.  Bake 12-15 minutes or until scallops are opaque and firm and bread crumb mixture has browned.



Comment:  I found this recipe at Publix.  I love scallops and usually order them, rarely cooking them myself.  This recipe was so simple that I had to give it a try.  Now for my changes.  The original recipe called for 4 cloves garlic, chopped - I used 1 Tbsp. minced.  I also, due to the price of scallops, cut mine down to 1/2 lb. and added 2 thin slices of cod, treating it just as I did the scallops.  This gave me a meal for just over half the cost and 2 sea products instead of one very expensive.  I do suggest that whatever fish you use make sure it's about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the scallops.  Since the fish is larger than a scallop, this gives them equal cooking.  This dish is simply delicious!

No comments: