Friday, May 9, 2014

Cheese and Tuna (Recipe from 1974)



12 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into small thin slices (I cut mine into thin chunks)
1 can (7 oz.) solid packed tuna, drained and flaked (I used 2 4 oz. cans)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 hard cooked eggs, sliced (I chopped mine)
4 potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced (I cut mine into chunks)
desired salad dressing (I used mayo)
salad greens, bite-size pieces (I made a bed of lettuce leaves)
pitted black and green olives (I sliced black olives)

Mix cheese, tuna, garlic, eggs, potatoes and salad dressing.  Arrange salad greens on a platter.  Pile salad in center and garnish with olives.


Comment:  This recipe is from a 1974 edition of a booklet "From Switzerland the Natural Cheese Country - Cheese Salads."  When I decided to give this recipe a try I wasn't sure about the taste the tuna might add.  Turns out that even though I used 2 drained cans, it doesn't have a strong tuna taste.  There is a taste that comes from the combination of the tuna, eggs and potatoes but it isn't what I expected.  Don't get me wrong.  This dish is delicious.  It's one I will be making again and again.  The point I'm trying to get across is that if you don't care that much for the tuna taste you don't have to worry... it isn't there.  Not only is this dish delicious it's also pretty.  I didn't use the green olives but have no doubt that they would have been a great addition.  When I added the mayo I had the thought of using Ranch Dressing but it was too late.  I think a little chopped dill would be another good addition.  This dish is one that you can simply play with as you Think With Your Taste Buds.

Comments from Food Tester Carol:  This is a very mild dish based on Martha's potato salad recipe.  There are members of my family who will not eat tuna but who love this dish because the briny flavor of the tuna seems neutralized and brings a "something extra" to the potato salad.  It is similar to what happens in a tuna melt:  the tuna merges with the other ingredients and somehow enhances them.  This is what happens in this magic recipe!

No comments: