Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Hot Potato Casserole - a la Joan



1 bag (2 lb.) hash browns (use loose potatoes NOT square cake)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream (You can use 3 cans of soup and 1 can of milk instead of sour cream)
8 oz. or more shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together everything except the Parmesan cheese.  Pour into a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake 1 hour or until bubbly and potatoes are fork tender.


Comments:  This dish came from my dear friend Joan.  She sent this to me some time ago but I've just now decided to give it a try.  Well, I found that I was out of sour cream but I did have some salad dressing that I had made using sour cream, minced onions, minced garlic and dill.  Why not?!  I didn't have the frozen hash browns but did have a box of dry that you simply soak in hot water.  This made 1 lb. so I cut the recipe in half, well sort of.  I used the 1 lb. potatoes, 1 can soup, 1 cup of my dressing, 1 cup of cheese but I eliminated the garlic since I had garlic in the dressing and I eliminated the Parmesan cheese, only because I forgot to add.  I have to say that this is one of the best hash brown dishes I've ever had.  The flavor was more like a loaded baked potato.  In fact, adding bacon bits and maybe some chives would be great additions that could be added when served.  This dish is great!

No comments: