Thursday, June 19, 2014

Broccoli Fritters


1 pkg. (1 lb.) frozen, chopped broccoli
1/2 cup flour
1 cup shredded cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt & pepper to taste
cooking oil

Thaw and cook broccoli until well done.  Drain as much as liquid as possible out of broccoli.  Add flour, cheese, egg, salt and pepper.  Refrigerate for about an hour.  Heat oil in a large frying pan.  Spoon mixture in hot oil.  Press flat like a pancake.  Cook like you would a pancake frying on both sides until brown and done inside.  Just remember that the cheese will make them a little sticky so don't mistake that as them not being done.  Makes about 12 depending on their size.

Comment:  I had cooked a package of broccoli for dinner one night but ended up with a change in plans and didn't use the broccoli.  The next day I decided to come up with something simple yet tasty to do with my broccoli that I had actually overcooked.  It was soft and mushy so that's when I decided to try making fritters.  These are delicious!  You can add more or less cheese but the amount I added seemed to work perfectly for the amount of flour, broccoli and egg allowing them to cook nicely and hold together.  I could have eaten all of these myself, they are that good.  This could easily be made with cauliflower and squash.  Just make sure you drain out as much liquid as possible.  I bet spinach would be good too.

No comments: