Friday, June 6, 2014

Salmon Cakes



1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 eggs
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. Old Bay
2 Tbsp. dehydrated onions
1 1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 can (14 oz.) Salmon drained and mashed
1/2 cup oil

Mix mayonnaise, eggs, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard Old Bay and onions until well blended.  Add bread crumbs and salmon.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.  Heat oil on medium high in a large frying pan until hot enough to barely sizzle.  Scoop up mix, roll into a ball about golf ball size, flatten and add to hot oil.  Fry on each side about 3-4 minutes.  Place on paper towels to drain.  Makes about 12. 


Comment:  This was a recipe for crab cakes that I made a few changes to.  The original called for egg yolks only, I used the whole egg.  It called for blackening seasoning, I used Old Bay.  It called for red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, I eliminated both and added the onions.  I also changed from regular bread crumbs to seasoned.  And of course I used a can of salmon instead of the 1 lb. of crabmeat.  These came out delicious!  You can get a hint of the lemon, a slight taste of the Worcestershire and the seasoned (Italian) bread crumbs adds yet another taste.  Combine them all together and these are some of the best salmon cakes I've ever made.   And did I tell you they are moist!

No comments: