Monday, July 21, 2014

Cereal Cookies



1 lb. butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
4 cups corn flakes
Nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, if desired

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl (I used popcorn bowl) with an electric mixer beat butter and both sugars until creamy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  In another bowl whisk together soda, salt and flour.  Add flour to butter mixture and beat until smooth.  Add oatmeal and corn flakes.  This is best done using your hands.  Add and mix in nuts, chips, raisins, if using.  Roll into balls, place on cookie sheet and press down lightly to flatten some.  Bake 12-14 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.  Allow to cook but only lightly brown so they will keep their chewy texture.  Makes about 5 dozen large cookies.

Comments:  I found a recipe for some cookies like these only to lose it 2 days later when I planned to make.  I scanned some of my cookbooks trying to find it and couldn't so I went to the internet.  I remembered the recipe used 2 cups of butter, brown sugar, oatmeal and corn flakes.  The recipe above is the only one I found that included those ingredients.  But when I found it, there was one problem.  No directions other than the oven temp and time.  I had to wing it from there.  So the above directions are the way I made these cookies.  I did use almond slivers for my nuts which worked beautifully.  I started to add coconut (my favorite) but am glad I didn't.  The cereal gives a texture that makes you think you're eating coconut.  These cookies are very rich and sweet but so delicious.  And you can cut the review in half.


Comments from Carol:  These cookies are so good, they have surpassed any other cookie recipe in our book.  The taste of butter, oatmeal, almonds, and the slight crunch (that makes you think of coconut even though there is none) - all of this comes together in the perfect cookie.  My mother wants to scrap all of her tried and true recipes for church luncheons and make this her new "niche" dish!





No comments: