Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Chili-Beef Casserole - 1967 cookbook





1 Tbsp. oil (I didn't use this)
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tsp. chili powder
1 can chili-beef soup (I used a can of hot dog chili)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups egg noodles, cooked
Grated Parmesan cheese (I used Colby, shredded)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat oil in skillet; add meat, onion, garlic and chili powder (my ground beef was 85/15 so I didn't use oil). Cook, stirring, until meat loses its pink color and onion is lightly browned.  Stir in soup and sour cream and simmer 5 minutes.  Place half of the cooked noodles in 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (sprayed with non-stick).  Sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese.  Cover with half of the meat mixture.  Repeat layers with remaining noodles and meat.  Top with another generous amount of cheese.  Bake 40-45 minutes.  Serves 6



Comments:  This recipe came from 1967 cookbook Favorite Recipes of Episcopal Churchwomen - Meats.  It's simple to make and so delicious.  I didn't use the egg noodles but used wheat noodles which gave it a firmer texture when biting into the noodles.  As for the cheese change, I really thought the Colby or even Cheddar would fit my taste best.  I probably used about 1/2 cup of cheese in each of the layers calling for it.  I've not seen the chili-beef soup but did have a can of hot dog chili in the pantry.  This is a dish that will never go out of taste.

No comments: