Monday, April 6, 2015

Coconut Macaroons



2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bag (14 oz.) shredded sweetened coconut
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup almond slivers

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In a large bowl whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold in coconut and sweetened condensed milk.  Stir in chocolate chips and almond slivers.  Scoop into 2" balls and place about 1" apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet or place into muffin cups sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes about 3 dozen.

Comment:  This original recipe came from an old Ladies Home Journal magazine.  The only changes I made was to use the semi-sweet chips and I added the almonds.  If you like Almond Joy candies, you'll love these.  I'm not a chocolate eater but I do love coconut and almonds and do eat an Almond Joy once in a blue moon and that is exactly what these taste like.  My 1st batch were cooked on the parchment paper which is a bit messy to prepare.  That is when I decided to try them in the muffin tins.  The 1st batch in the tins were not sprayed and a little hard to remove from the papers so I sprayed the next batch with non-stick and it worked perfectly.

No comments: