Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hot Chocolate Pie



3/4 cup crushed butter cookies
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
1 pkg. pudding/pie filling - vanilla
1 pkg. Land o Lakes Cocoa Classics Hot Cocoa Mix
1 1/2 cups milk

Mix the crushed butter cookies with the marshmallow cream until crumbly.  Press into the bottom of a pie pan.  In a bowl combine pudding mix, dry package of cocoa mix and milk.  Whisk to blend and stir until it starts to thicken.  Pour into cookie crust.  Refrigerate.

Comment:  Every year I end up with my favorite butter cookies and this year I had 3 tins.  I can eat them, which I love doing or I can come up with something else to do with them.  I decided to give them a try as a pie crust.  These cookies are full of butter so I didn't want to add more, but I needed a way to make them stick together to form a crust.  Then I spotted the marshmallow cream!  Mixing the 2 together isn't as easy as you would think.  I used a fork to blend and eventually used my hands mixing until the crumbs were crumbly and allowing me to press into the pie pan.  You can go up the edges if you have enough or you can just cover the bottom like I did.  After doing this I had to come up with a filling.  I could use the box of vanilla pudding/pie mix but wanted some flavor.  That is when I spotted the Land O Lakes Coco Mix.  I'm not a chocolate lover but I do like a hot cup of flavored chocolate on a cold night so when I spotted a package of Amaretto I decided to give it a try.  Bingo!  It worked so well that I decided to make a 2nd pie using plain hot cocoa mix making it a chocolate pie.  To know which was which I sprinkled the top of the chocolate one with a little coco and the amaretto with almond slivers.  The pies were all approved and seconds were asked for by my Food Testers.  And the crust - it was different but in a delicious way.  You can bet I'll be making these pies often and will be 'playing' with the flavors, both through the crust as well as the filling.

No comments: