Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Sausage and Grits Casserole



1 lb. lean sausage
3/4 cup uncooked quick cook grits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook sausage until done and crumbled.  Cook grits according to package directions.  Stir in sausage, cheese, milk & eggs.  Pour into a 2 qt. baking dish sprayed with non-stick.  Bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Comments:  I found a version of this in the Holiday edition of Southern Living.  It called for smoked sausage, garlic & thyme.  I used Jimmy Dean's extra sage sausage, which is very lean and flavorful.  I also omitted the garlic and thyme.  Plus, I cut the recipe in half.  This dish turned out wonderful!  Even my Food Tester who is from NY loved it.  I'll be making it again but I'm going to add sauted onions and possibly some bell peppers.  This is also an attractive dish that has everything in one dish.

No comments: