Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Spinach 'Burgers'



1 bag (12 oz.) thawed, well drained chopped spinach
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Shape into patties and cook over medium high heat in a non-stick skillet with a small amount of cooking spray.  Patties are done when they are golden and firm. (about 4-6 minutes).

Comment:  I found this recipe on a site titled The Village Cook and boy is it great!  I made just a couple changes.  I used 2 whole eggs instead of the 2 whites and 1 whole.  I used Seasoned Panko bread crumbs, which don't bind as well as regular so I increased the amount to 3/4 cup allowing the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.  Plus I browned the patties quickly on each side and the placed in the toaster oven to complete cooking (about 5 minutes).  This gave me 12 patties which were wonderful!  I gave some to 3 of my testers and the 1st words out of their mouths was OMGoodness!  I had 2 left over, which had gotten cold and decided to heat them up and eat later that day.  Before heating I took a bite and it did't need heating at all!  So good.

No comments: