Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ham & Cheese Pea Patties



1 can black eyed peas, drained
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 green onions, chopped with tops
ham
cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a med. cast iron frying pan pour enough oil to cover the bottom.  Place in the oven while it preheats to get it sizzling hot.  In a bowl mix peas, cornmeal, milk, egg and onions.  Pour half of the mixture into the frying pan with the hot oil.  It should sizzle when poured in. Top with a layer of cheese, a layer of ham, and another layer of cheese.  Evenly spread the remaining mix.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until browned and done on the inside.

Comments:  I've made what I call Georgia Pea Patties for years, using my mother's recipe.  Normally I fry them but found myself with some leftover ham and decided to give this mixture a try.  Boy is it good!  My food testers all loved it.  One thing to remember about the batter and that is that you wan it about pancake batter thickness.  You want to be able to pour it into the pan.  Also, to test your oil, flip just a drop of 2 of water into it to see if it sizzles before bringing it out of the oven.  When it sizzles you know its' hot enough.  Add as much cheese and ham as you like.  I had some 1/4" thick ham and put a thick layer of cheese before and after the ham.  Plus, if you don't like black eyed peas, I'm sure this will work well with others.

No comments: