Saturday, August 19, 2017

Cheddar Broccoli Bacon



1/2 lb. uncooked, lean bacon, cut into small pieces
1 large head broccoli
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400.  Scatter the bacon over the bottom of a cast iron frying pan.  Cut the stems off the broccoli and cut into bite size pieces.  Bake 20-25 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes.  Broccoli and bacon should start browning.  Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven.  Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.  Stir, pat with paper towels and serve.

Comments:  I opened my refrigerator and saw that I had some bacon that needed to be used.  I wanted to do something different so when I spotted the broccoli I decided to give the two a try.  Only one of my food testers was lucky enough to give this dish a try and he ask the next day when I would be making more.  He loved it and so did I.  It's even good cold!  As for changes, I will use more broccoli the next time and may even cook the bacon about halfway through, drain, pat with paper towels and then add the broccoli.  That will take care of most of the grease from the bacon, which does add a lot of flavor.

No comments: