Friday, July 10, 2009

Basic Cookie Mix

8 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Combine flour, sugars, salt and baking soda until well blended. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container. Label and store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10-12 weeks. Makes about 16 cups of basic cookie mix.

A really sweet friend of mine, Lillian, told me that since I use sugar cookie mix to make most of my crusts I needed a basic cookie recipe. She sent me one. The only change I made was to leave out the vegetable shortening. I did this because I like to use the dry mix and add softened butter in my recipe. If you want to go ahead and add the shortening the amount is 3 cups cut in using a pastry blender. I keep plenty of this mix handy using it to make different flavors of cookies by adding nuts, fruit, coconut, etc. and for some of my crusts.

No comments: