Friday, July 10, 2009

Breakfast Quiche Paprika

1 cup grated cheese
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, optional
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. dried minced onions
1/3 cup biscuit mix

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9" pie plate with non-stick spray. Sprinkle bottom and sides of pie plate lightly with paprika. Sprinkle cheese on bottom of pie plate. Sprinkle cheese with bacon. In a large bowl combine eggs, salt, nutmeg, milk, onion and biscuit mix. Beat with a mixer on med. speed about 1 minute thoroughly mixing. Pour over cheese and bacon in pie plate. Bake 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve hot. Makes 6 servings.

I have a Sunday morning coffee for some of my food testers. I always make a new dish to serve them. Sometimes it's a breakfast dish, sometimes it's some type of bread or cake. I never tell them what they are going to be eating and if I add a secret ingredient such as the nutmeg in this dish I don't tell them but wait on their response. When making this dish I doubled the recipe so there would be enough to go around. The nutmeg couldn't be detected so you may want to increase it to a little over 1/4 tsp. But I must say that this dish was a big hit. The biscuit mix I used was an inexpensive pouch but if you keep the box variety on hand that will work too. Now for changes. Use sausage or ham instead of bacon. As for cheese, change the flavor by using different blends and flavors of cheese such as pepper jack for spice and heat. This would also be good served topped with sour cream and a little salsa.

1 comment:

cmjhawaii said...

My daughters have some friends sleeping over this weekend. I think I'll try this. It sounds really fast and easy.