Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sausage and Squash Casserole


3-4 med. size yellow squash, peeled and sliced
1 med. onion, sliced
1 lb. lean sausage
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup water
3 cups stuffing mix (Pepperidge Farm)
1 cup shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place squash and onions in a medium size pot and cover with water.  Boil until tender.  Drain.  Cook sausage and drain if needed.  Mix all ingredients together.  Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake 20-25 minutes.

Comments:  A friend gave me some squash fresh from his garden and I couldn't wait to make my Sausage & Squash Casserole.  You can spice this up by using hot sausage but I like to use the mild and I use Jimmy Dean due to it being so lean.  I also use the blue package of Pepperidge Farm stuffing but the choice is your's.  I don't use the stuffings that have added seasoning packages because I want to control my flavor.  And for the cheese, I like to use an Italian blend which gives me a buttery taste.  You can change this up a bit by adding mushrooms and/or celery.  If using celery I would saute it with the sausage or boil it along with the squash. 

No comments: