Thursday, December 19, 2013

Easy Coconut Cake



1 yellow or white cake mix
1 tsp. coconut flavoring
1 cup shredded coconut
1 can (17 oz.) grated coconut in extra heavy syrup
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven per directions on cake mix.  Mix cake mix following the directions on the box.  Stir in coconut flavoring and shredded coconut.  Bake in loaf pans (2-4 depending upon size) or 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.   In a small sauce pan stir together grated coconut and milk.  Over med. heat let the mixture barely come to a boil. Remove from heat.  Spoon evenly over hot cake. 

Comments:  I love coconut and when I found a can of Conchita Grated Coconut on sale at one of my local grocery stores I had to buy it.  I had no idea what I would do with it since I had not only never tried it but also never seen it before.  Well, it makes the best coconut icing you'll find.  I added the 1/4 cup of milk because I wanted it to soak into the cake some and the 'extra heavy syrup' is just that - heavy so the milk and heating both thinned it down enough to allow it to seep into my cake without even having to punch holes.  I have a friend who's favorite cake is coconut so I gave a loaf of this to him for Christmas.  He said he was in coconut heaven.  So where do you find this can of lust?  In the Mexican/Spanish section of the grocery store.  It is well worth searching for.

No comments: