Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cherry Cheese Pie



2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cans (15 oz. approx. each) cherry pie filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 oz. cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix graham crackers and butter together.  Press into 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Mix sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese together until well blended.  Spread evenly over graham cracker crust.  Gently spread cherry pie filling over milk mixture.  Bake 30 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting.

Comment:  The original recipe for this was didn't call for the cream cheese but I decided to add it and see how it worked out.  It worked out great!  You get just a hint of a cheese cake taste making it perfect.  Before I added the cream cheese I put it in a bowl and into the microwave for about 20 minutes to soften.  When I added it to the milk all I needed was a whisk to blend the two together.  This dish can be made with just about any pie filling... strawberry, blueberry, apple, etc.  It's a simple dish that takes no time to make. The original recipe also called for sugar in the crust which I omitted.  I also bought pie filling with no added sugar.  By doing this my dish was sweet but not over-sweet.  And for an added uniqueness I used spoon rest dishes to serve.

No comments: