Saturday, February 22, 2014

Leek, Broccoli, Potato Soup


2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 pkg. (1 lb.) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
6 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 Tbsp. corn starch
½ cup evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over med. high melt olive oil and butter.  Add leeks and sauté 3-4 minutes.  Add broccoli, potatoes, garlic, water and bouillon cubes.  Cook covered until potatoes, broccoli and leeks are soft.  Using a potato masher, mash all veggies.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Mix corn starch in evaporated milk until completely blended.  Stir into soup.  Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes stirring constantly.  Serves 6-8. 


Comments:  I went looking for a soup recipe using leeks and broccoli.  I found several but neither was completely what I wanted so this recipe was developed by pulling from 2 others plus my own additions.   Both called for 1 small potato but I increased it to 2 large.  One used veggie broth, one used chicken broth.  I used the bouillon cubes adding one at a time until I got the taste where I wanted it.  One called for ¼ cup of half and half.  I changed that to ½ cup of evaporated milk.  Both called for the soup to be run through a food processor but I changed that to the masher and added the corn starch for a very slight thickness.  With all my changes I came out with a really delicious soup!

Comment from Carol:  This is a soup full of character.  Each ingredient has a character of its own and what I think gives it dynamic taste is the fact that the ingredients are mashed, or smashed, not pureed into one blended flavor.  The distinctive taste of each morsel is recognizable as broccoli or leek with the results being a lively soup with complex flavor.  This is not a soup that tastes simple; it is substantial.  This soup positively shouts out "I am healthy!" to the estent that my 95 year old mother wants to add it to the list of soups we make to give to friends and family when they need cheering up: 1) fresh chicken-vegetable; 2) potato leek; 3) AND NOW broccoli, leek potato


No comments: