Friday, June 27, 2014

Spinach Bread - recipe from 1983 cookbook


1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut into chunks
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese, grated
1 pkg (10 oz.) spinach, thawed, chopped and drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place butter in a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish.  Place in oven while it preheats allowing it to melt.  In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, eggs, milk, cheese and spinach.  Pour and evenly spread over melted butter.  Bake 30-35 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes before cutting into squares.

Comment:  I found this recipe in a cookbook copyright 1983.  The recipe was so simple that I had to give it a try.  WHOW!  This is not only easy but it's also delicious.  It's a recipe that I will be making again and it's also one that I'm going to play with.  I bet it would be good with squash or broccoli or cauliflower.  Can't wait to try.  I will tell you the one problem I've found with this dish... if you taste it while hot you'll have a hard time walking away from it even if you're not a spinach lover.

No comments: