Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Maifun and Shrimp


2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1  lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pkg. (6.75 oz.) Maifun Rice Sticks
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
sesame seeds

In a large bowl combine lemon juice, ginger, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add shrimp and toss to coat.  Refrigerate 30 minutes tossing now and then to coat.  In another large bowl place Maifun Rice Sticks and cover with hot water.  Let soak 10 minutes.

Place shrimp in a single layer in a large frying pan.  Pour sauce over and cook shrimp until done.  Remove shrimp.  Drain Maifun and add to pan.  Add soy sauce and toss to coat.  Serve Maifun with shrimp on top.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Comments:  I had never used nor eaten Maifun Rice Sticks until I made this dish.  The original recipe called for bean thread but I picked up the Maifun by mistake so that's what I used.  Maifun has a chewy texture and it picks up the flavors of what it's cooked with very well.  I'm actually glad I made the mistake but you can also use the bean thread and even angel hair pasta if you want.  The recipe also called for the shrimp to be marinated in the sauce, with it being disposed of after removing the shrimp.  There was then another sauce made that had the same ingredients with the addition of the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.  I couldn't see wasting that delicious marinate so I decided to cook the shrimp in it and add just the soy sauce when I added the Maifun which was another step I changed.  Originally it would be just served on the dish with the shrimp on top and the 2nd batch drizzled over.  So, what it boils down to is that I shortened the time and ingredients of this dish and it still came out tasting absolutely delicious!

No comments: