Friday, December 19, 2014

Sad Cake



4 eggs, beaten well
1 box (1 lb.) light brown sugar
2 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
1 cup pecans
1 cup coconut

Combine all ingredients.  Cook at 350 degrees. (read my comment for better directions)

Comment:  This was the total recipe with directions that I found in an old 1970's cookbook.  I had never heard of a Sad Cake so I googled it to see if I could find more info.  I was able to find that it is called a "Sad Cake" because it falls.  I also found that the recipe I found online included 1/2 cup of oil... so, I decided to follow everything above and add 1 stick of melted butter.  The recipe I found had this baked in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  I poured mine into 2 pound cake pans because I wanted to use one as a gift.  Now for the cooking time.  At 350 degrees my 2 pound cake pans took about 45 minutes to cook.  This cake won't come out with a clean tooth pick but it will come out with a gooey one like you would find if making brownies.  Actually, this is more of a brownie than a cake.  For taste.... OMGoodness!  You can taste the brown sugar and the butter.  Then you get a crunch of the pecans and chew of the coconut.  This is a really delicious 'cake' but don't expect it to come out of the pan nice and pretty.  It won't and that is probably why it's called a Sad Cake.

My thoughts on the name - When I was a kid my mother always yelled at us not to slam the door so her cake wouldn't fall.  I have a feeling this was a cake that had too much sugar added, not enough flour and the poor kid that slammed the door was blamed for making it fall.  I'm glad it did fall because it's delicious.

No comments: