Thursday, January 8, 2015

Twinkie Short Cake



8 Twinkies type cakes
1 lg. (6.4 oz.) box vanilla pudding mix
2 pkg. frozen strawberries, thawed
1 carton Cool Whip

Split the twinkies in half lengthwise and place filling part up in a 9 x 13 x 2 dish.  Mix pudding according to package directions.  Spread evenly over twinkies.  Top pudding with strawberries and just before serving top with Cool Whip.  Serves 8 - 12

Comment:  This is a recipe that went with a book review I did for author Brian L. Porter's book Avenue of the Dead.  I had trouble finding 'twinkies' but did find another brand that worked perfectly.  For my strawberries I found frozen, whole strawberries on sale so I bought 2 bags and let them thaw.  I sliced the in half and they actually had very little juice which I believe was good.  Their lack of juice kept the dish from having too much liquid and being runny.  This isn't a dish that keeps very well due to the amount of juice that was in the berries but with it as good as it is that wasn't much of a problem.  The one thing that might make it last longer would be to use fresh, sliced berries.  For changes - change the fruit.  Use blueberries, blackberries, peaches, even Kiwi would be good.  This is a fun dish to play with.

No comments: