Friday, January 16, 2015

Gluten Free Banana Bread



4 bananas, mashed with a fork (the riper the better)
4 eggs
1/2 cup almond butter
4 Tbsp. Ghee
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.  In a large bowl add bananas, eggs, almond butter, ghee and vanilla.  Use a hand blender to combine well.  Add in the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend well.  Pour into the loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool slightly before slicing.

Comments:  This is my 1st real, homemade gluten free dish.  I did do a few things different.  I let my bananas go until the peel was black.  When they say the riper the better it should say the riper the sweeter.  When I bought my almond butter I bought the 'crunchy' type to add a texture.  From what I could find on Ghee it is clarified butter so I hate to say it but I used melted butter instead of the Ghee.  The coconut flour can be quite expensive.  I priced it in the grocery stores and the health food stores and it sells for about $10.00 a lb.  I found it in Walmart for $6.00 a pound.  Coconut flour must be refrigerated after opening so don't leave it out in the pantry after using.  When I read the 1/2 cup of coconut flour I was a little worried.  I couldn't see how that small amount would make 'bread' when combined with that many bananas and eggs.  Surprise!  That 1/2 cup thickened the mixture to make an actual fairly thick batter.  I only used 1 tsp. of the cinnamon because I felt it would overpower the banana flavor.

Now for taste.  At first bite I thought "well, I'm not so sure."  Within a matter of seconds I wanted another bite, then another and ate the whole slice and loved it.  I could taste the bananas which gave it the perfect sweetness.  I could taste just a hint of cinnamon but most of all I had an aftertaste of something I truly love - coconut.  I could actually taste the coconut from the flour!  This is a bread I'll make often.  And it's healthy!!!

No comments: