Monday, February 9, 2015

Ham Chowder


1 ham steak, cut into bite size pieces (or leftover ham bone with meat)
3 cups water
1 pkg (1 lb.) mixed broccoli and cauliflower
2 potatoes, cubed
1 scallion
salt & pepper to taste
1 - 2 Tbsp. flour (Rice flour)

In a large pot  bring ham and water to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer until ham is tender and starting to fall apart (about 1 hour).  Add broccoli & cauliflower, potatoes and scallion.  Mix flour in 1/4 cup of water until blended.  Add to pot.  Allow to cook until it thickens.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Comment:  This is a soup I made up when cleaning out my freezer.  I had a ham bone with very little meat but had a ham steak that would make up for the lack of meat on the bone.  I cooked the bone and steak for about 1 hour giving a delicious flavor to the water.  I had originally planned on using broccoli only but spotted a bag with broccoli and cauliflower so decided, why not.  The added potatoes gave me just one more texture as well as taste as did the scallion.  I used rice flour to keep this dish gluten free and must say that it works perfectly.  One thing I've noticed about rice flour is that it seems to help keep the flavors of the other ingredients separate.  Don't know why but it does.  You can add more or less flour, and even corn starch to reach the thickness you like best.

I almost didn't add this recipe to the site.  I love the taste of broccoli and cauliflower and both are really strong so I wasn't sure how well these flavors would go over, but... my food testers agreed that this was a recipe that had to be shared.  It was delicious to me as well as to them.  Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

No comments: