Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ham and Rice Casserole



1 cup uncooked rice
3 cups left over ham, chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream (evaporated milk will work)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided 1 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup)
French fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook rice according to package directions.  In a large bowl combine cream, soup and 1 1/2 cup cheese.  Add hot rice and stir well.  Fold in ham and broccoli.  Pour into a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until cheese has melted and the dish is bubbly.  Sprinkle with crushed French fried onions.  Serves 6-8.

Comments:  While looking through my freezer for something to cook I spotted a bag of ham that was left over from Easter.  I scanned through a 1974 cookbook looking for a recipe to make using the ham and spotted a recipe for Scalloped Potato an Ham.  Well, I had 4 potatoes and didn't want to use them so I decided to use rice in their place.  The recipe called for cream of celery soup but I spotted a can of cream of mushroom to use instead.  While looking for cheese I spotted some fresh broccoli that needed to be used so decided to add that to my dish.  I also doubled the amount of ham and increased the cheese from 1/2 cup to a total of 2 cups.  Yep I love cheese.  Well, this combination was far from being the one I found in the cookbook but it sure turned out delicious.  Plus it's cheap and easy to make.  If you don't have left over ham buy a ham steak and you're all set.


No comments: