Thursday, May 7, 2015

Pesto Hummus



Basic Hummus
1 Can Chickpeas drained (save water) and rinsed
1/2 Cup Chickpea Water (from can)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves
3 tbsp Tahini (sesame butter)
Splash of Lemon Juice

For Pesto Hummus add 1-2 tbsp. Pesto and if your pesto includes garlic omit the added garlic.

Puree all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. 

Comments:  I love hummus but can find only limited flavors.  A few days ago I bought a jar of pesto to use in a pasta salad and of course had a lot left over.  Then it hit me - why not put it in hummus?   I found a basic hummus recipe online.  Since the Pesto has garlic I eliminated the 3 garlic cloves but if your Pesto doesn't have enough for your taste add back the garlic 1 clove at a time until you have the taste you like.  Save with the amount of pesto.  I started with 1 tbsp. of Pesto but liked a stronger flavor so ended up adding 2 full tbsp.  I also garnished my dish with just a little pesto on top.  This came out delicious!  I had never used Tahini so had to look for it in the store.  It cost about $5.00 for the smallest jar I could find so I have plenty for many more batches of hummus and I plan on making many more flavors.

No comments: