Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Baked Cheezy Fish



4 fresh or frozen firm fish fillets, about 1" thick
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Dry fish using paper towels.  In a shallow bowl combine mayonnaise, cheese and Worcestershire sauce.  Spray a heavy baking dish (cast iron works great) with non-stick spray.  Coat the fish with the mayonnaise mixture.  Place in baking dish making sure the pieces don't touch.   Bake 10 - 15 minutes allowing the cheese to slightly brown.  Serves 2 hungry and 4 not so hungry.


Comment:  The original recipe became something that simply gave me the idea for this dish.  The only thing I didn't change was the thickness of the fish.  I used my favorite - Cod.  This is my choice because of its thickness and large flakes.  I wanted Parmesan cheese and when I read the cheeses in the Italian blend I found that it had that as well as several other cheeses.  This was one of the best baked fish dishes I've had in a long time.  If you have a cast iron frying pan use it for cooking the fish. Unlike regular baking dishes, it gets hot and holds the heat enough to give you a really good 'crust' on the bottom.   This is also a very quick dish that goes good with a salad, slaw, potato salad, or just about any leftover side dishes.

No comments: