Sunday, August 16, 2015

Apple Dumplins



2 Granny Smith apples 
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can (7 1/2 oz.) coke
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples. Pour coke around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and walnuts.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

Comment:  While in the mountains I bought a bag of apples.  I probably should have inquired what kind of apples they were but didn't.  Turns out that they are VERY tart apples that weren't good for eating raw but only good for cooking.  I had found an Apple Dumplin recipe some time ago but just hadn't tried it yet but knew these apples would be great to use instead of the Granny Smith.  (These apples had more tartness than the Granny Smiths!).  The recipe called for 2 Granny Smith but since my apples were a little smaller I used 4 and cut them into 4 slices each.  This may have been even better since I ended up with larger pieces of apples in each dumplin.  The recipe also called for regular sugar and Mountain Dew.  I decreased the sugar to 1 cup of  UNPACKED brown sugar and a small can of coke.  I also added the walnuts.  This turned out to be an OMGoodness dish!  Easy, quick and so delicious.

No comments: