Friday, February 12, 2016

Vichyssoise (Leek & Potato Soup)




6 medium potatoes
6 leeks
4 Tbsp. butter
8 cups chicken stock
heavy cream or sour cream
nutmeg
salt, pepper
chopped chives (optional)

Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.  Cook in enough boiling water to cover until tender, then drain.  Meanwhile, wash the leeks thoroughly.  Split and saute in butter.  When the leeks are limp, add 2 cups of the chicken stock and simmer gently until leeks are tender.  Puree the potatoes and leeks and combine.  Add the stock in which the leeks were cooked, the remaining chicken stock and heavy cream or sour cream.  Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and blend thoroughly.  Chill 24 hrs..  Garnish with chopped chives before serving.  Serves 8

Comments:  I ran across this recipe in an OLD cookbook I bought.  The paper has yellowed and from the ad on the back it looks like it may be from the 50's, possibly before.  I talked to a friend of mine who is from Canada and said she had eaten this many times in the past and couldn't wait to try it again so she was going to be my 1st tester.  The only changes I made was to decrease the chicken stock to 6 cups and since there were no measurements for the heavy cream or sour cream I used 1 cup of half and half and 1 cup of sour cream.  PERFECT!  The did salt my potatoes while cooking and when I added the nutmeg I sprinkled just a little, tasted; added a little more, tasted; and continued until I got the perfect taste which for me was just a slight flavor.  Judging by the instructions to chill 24 hours I believe this is a soup that is supposed to be eaten cold.  I don't like very many cold soups so I ate it hot.  It was delicious!  This is a soup that any soup lover can't help but love.

No comments: