Friday, December 16, 2016

Pumpkin Cake



1 box yellow cake mix
1 can pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 stick butter, melted
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup water
2 cartons (8 oz. each) Philadelphia Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Spread
1 - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix cake mix, pumpkin, butter, eggs, cinnamon and water until smooth and creamy.  (I mixed my butter with the pumpkin to cool it off).  Pour into 2 cake pans sprayed with non-stick or 1 bundt pan sprayed with non-stick or 1 deep square pan sprayed with non-stick.  Bake according to time on the cake box or until toothpick comes out clean.  I used a large square pan and cooked mine for about 45 minutes.  If using a bundt or deep square pan, allow cake to cool and slice across the center making 2 layers.  In another large bowl mix cream cheese and 1 cup of powdered sugar.  Add more if needed to make a creamy, spreadable mixture.  After cake cooks, ice.  Refrigerate.

Comment:  A friend gave me 2 containers of Philadelphia Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese and I had no idea what to do with it.  It is delicious as is but the expiration date was coming up soon and I knew I would never eat both containers before that date.  I've made cream cheese frosting before and know how delicious it is so why not make Pumpkin Cream Cheese frosting.  The cake portion came partly from a recipe I found online for a layered, bar cake/cookie but it gave me enough information to know how much liquid to eliminate while using the can of pumpkin.  This one turned out to be a winner.  Even if you don't like pumpkin, you'll never know that is what you're eating.  I gave a big slice to a friend who hates pumpkin.  He loved it.  I told him it was a spice cake with cream cheese icing.  Fooled him!  You can add a few nuts to the cake or icing if you like to give it another texture.  Oh yeah, the frosting makes enough that you can put a nice thick layer between the layers.  Enjoy!

No comments: