Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Cream Spinach Roll-Up



1 Tube Crescent Dough Sheet
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. self rising flour
1/4 cup Half and Half
4 oz. Soft Onion & Chive Cream Cheese
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter.  Add flour and stir until creamed together.  Slowly stir in cream and then cream cheese, increasing heat to medium.  Constantly whisk until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. Mix in garlic, spinach and Parmesan. Open Crescent Dough Sheet and spread it out on a piece of waxed paper sprayed with non-stick.  Spread the spinach mixture evenly over dough.  Slowly start rolling from the long side.  Place on cookie sheet covered with foil that has been sprayed with non-stick.  Bake 20 minutes or until dough starts to brown.  Sprinkle down the center with a little cheese and continue to bake until dough is golden brown.  Cool and slice.

Comments:  Yes, I guess you could say I'm on a spinach kick.   I ate at Boston Market and had my favorite dish - Creamed Spinach.  They make the best!  I had bought a roll of Crescent Dough 'Sheet' and wanted to find a really good recipe in which to use it.  The thought of the Creamed Spinach hit me as the perfect filling for this dough.  But... Boston Market won't give out their recipe.  But... there are copycats on line that are pretty good.  I found the recipe that sounded best and gave it a try.  I cut down most of the ingredients because I would be using it as a filling and wouldn't need quite as much and the recipe above is what I came up with.  Boy is this one good!  It makes a great dish or appetizer.  You can bet I'll be making this often.  I do think I'll increase the garlic to maybe 1 1/2 tsp. to give it even more flavor.   This is good hot or cold.

No comments: