Thursday, March 9, 2017

Quick & Easy Apple Pie



1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 pie crusts
1 cans apple pie filling
cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a 9" cast iron frying pan melt the butter. Remove 1 Tbsp. of butter and set aside.  Add brown sugar and stir until blended and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Top with 1 pie crust.  Pour apple pie filling on top of crust.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (about 1 tsp.)  Top pie filling with 2nd pie crust.  Brush with the 1 Tbsp. of melted butter.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (about 1 tsp.).  Bake 30-40 minutes or until crust is done and lightly browned.

Comments:  This recipe came from Trisha Yearwood's cooking show and yes I made a slight change.  I used 2 cans of apple pie filling instead of 1.  I also used my square copper pan so it would hold the 2 cans of apple pie filling.  One thing you will notice is that the butter/sugar may overflow to the top and create a caramel which is delicious.   For a dish that is so simple I couldn't believe how delicious it is.  I took some to one of my food testers and she added a scope of ice cream.  I took her a very large serving and she said it was so good that she ate it all in one sitting.  I want to try this using other fruits - peaches, strawberries, blueberries....

No comments: