Monday, September 18, 2017

Nut Meg Cookies



1 pkg Sugar Cookie Mix
1 stick + 2 Tbsp. melted butter, cooled
1 egg
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix until they form a soft dough. Pinch off and roll into balls about the size of a walnut. Press out using a fork. Bake 7-9 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


Martha:  I make cookies every week to take to a friend who is in a nursing home. Lately I've tried to make extra to share with the nurses and a couple of the residents I've met there. Sometimes I just don't have time to make from scratch so I buy a mix. When I bought a package of sugar cookie mix I wanted to do something that would make them a little special. I spotted some leftover nuts that I had chopped up for another dish and then I spotted the nutmeg. Boy did I come up with a delicious combination! I took some of the cookies to a couple of my 'food testers' and they loved them. Before visiting my friend I stopped at the nurse station and gave them a plate full. I didn't tell them about the nutmeg and ask if they could tell me the secret ingredient. Only one guessed correctly. Everyone begged for the recipe and were shocked when I told them how simple the cookies were to make. Great for the upcoming holidays.

If you don't like nutmeg, use cloves, pie spices or any other favorite spice but don't use more than about 1/4 tsp. so you don't overpower it with taste.


No comments: