Saturday, November 10, 2018

Broccoli Casserole with Cheese




10 to 12 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons finely minced onion (I used ½ med. Onion, finely chopped)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
Dash of pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream (I used 1 cup evaporated milk & ½ cup water)
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar (I used Mexican Blend)
3 large eggs, beaten 

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish.  Arrange the cooked and drained broccoli in the prepared casserole.  Heat the butter in a large skillet or sauté pan; add onion and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender.  Stir in flour until well blended and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pepper, nutmeg, salt, and half-and-half. Continue cooking over low heat until thickened. Stir in cheese and cook just until cheese is melted.  Add about one-third of the hot cheese sauce mixture to the beaten eggs; add back to the hot mixture, blending well. Pour over the broccoli.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the broccoli casserole and comes out clean.

Comments:  I can’t say enough about this dish.  It is so good.  I wasn’t sure I wanted to add the nutmeg but glad I did.  It gave it a very different flavor that fit with the onions perfectly.  I will be making this one again.

No comments: