Sunday, August 17, 2014

Broccoli Chowder (1984 cookbook)



2 lbs. fresh broccoli
2 (13 3/4-oz.) cans chicken broth
3 cups milk
1 cup cooked, chopped ham
1 cup half & half
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used cheddar)
1/4 cup butter
salt & pepper to taste
(3 Tbsp. corn starch - my addition)

In a large pot combine broccoli and 1 can of broth.  Cover and cook 7 minutes or until they are crisp tender.  Remove broccoli; col and chop coarsely.  Add other can of broth, milk, half & half, ham, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in broccoli, cheese and butter.  Stir constantly but don't allow to boil.

Comments:  This recipe came from a cookbook dating 1984 called The Enlightened Gourmet.  I love broccoli cheese soup and this one had the addition of ham that I hadn't tried before.  It is delicious!  I added the corn starch to thicken it just a little and that worked good too.  Also this called for Swiss cheese but I'm a cheddar lover so I did make that change too.  I'm sure the Swiss is delicious but I also have problems getting Swiss to melt smoothly so that was another reason for my using cheddar.  The flavor of this soup is so good.  The only other change I might make would be to add a few chopped leeks to the broccoli.  I don't think it could get much better than that.

Comment from Carol:  My mother is a great fan of broccoli soup and has been quite an authority on it over the years.  Today she pronounced this is the best broccoli soup she has ever had!  She especially liked the addition of the ham to an already solid friendship between broccoli and cheddar.  Martha has told us how to thicken the soup according to our tastes (by adding a little corn starch) and it allows us to choose degrees of thickness.  This is a delicious soup and now I know that it is the recipe we will follow form here on out!


No comments: