Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sweet Potato Custard



3 large sweet potatoes (3-4 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk

Topping:
2 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Peel, chop and boil sweet potatoes.  Drain, mash and cool.  Add 1/2 cup butter, eggs, vanilla and milk.  Mix well using an electric mixer.  Pour into a 1 to 2 qt. casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.  In a small boil mix topping ingredients.  Evenly sprinkle over potatoes.  Bake 30-40 minutes.

Comment:  This recipe was sent to me from a friend.  Mine didn't come out like a custard but more like a souffle which is ok too.   I did use my almond milk instead of regular and used 7 what I called medium size potatoes which I measured after mashing and I ended up with about 3 1/2 cups.  I don't know if that made the difference in it not being like a custard but like I said, it doesn't matter because this dish is so good I could have grabbed a spoon, stood at the counter and ate!  Now, there are a couple of changes I will make next time, and there will be plenty of next times with this dish.  I'll decrease the sugar to 1/4 for the potato mixture.  This will be just as good using less.  I did decrease the sugar for the topping to 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 and will decrease that even more.  Maybe to 1/8.  To be completely honest, this would be good with no added sugar in the potatoes and just the sugar on the topping.  This is a must try dish that is easy to make, so good and aren't sweet potatoes good for you?

Comment from Carol:  Smooth, creamy (without milk) sweet potatoes, pecans, faint hit of coconut-almond - this sweet potato dish relies mostly on the sweetness in the potato.  It is so good that I've already constructed two dinner menus around this dish!  It's a centerpiece!  Try this!!!


No comments: